Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.. and cereal is boring. These are yummy, filling and full of fruit!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, crushed
- dash of cinnamon optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine and sift dry ingredients.
- Add butter, applesauce and egg – Mix lightly.
- Stir in strawberries.
- Turn into greased muffin tin.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
I made these muffins with a strawberry butter and lemon glaze. (See the recipes below)
These yummy muffins are about 100 calories each!
Basic Lemon Glaze for Strawberry Muffins
- 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 3 large Strawberries
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp of confectioners sugar
- *if you don’t have fresh strawberries, you can use a Tbsp of strawberry preserve.
Put all ingredients in a blender/food processor until smooth and creamy. Put in refrigerator until ready to eat. Have leftovers?? These are perfect for toast, bagels, muffins and whole wheat waffles.